Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Quilts of Valor

Amanda over on "crazy mom quilts" invited 59 of her readers (first 59 that signed up) to make one red, white, and blue 12.5 x 12.5 block. She reserved the right to toss any block that did not meet the size requirement. Now I understand why!


The above laying on my 12.5 by 12.5 template is the first block I made. You can see it was off by a LOT. (pale green border around the sides)

Above is the second block. Still does not make the cut as too much of the template is showing.


YEAH! the third one is right on the money, well almost. (sorry for the flash glare) I only had to trim two little tiny places.
Man how do quilters do it perfect all the time? I made my first template out of soft plastic sheet.........I kept cutting the template every darn time I used it! So of course it just kept getting smaller and smaller.
Finally I asked my daughter to pick up a 4.5x4.5 thick template before she came home yesterday evening. I still had problem with cutting but slippage was the problem this time. My poor old hands are so tired. But I have finally completed the the needed block.
I plan to send her the boo boo blocks just in case she plans a quilt using smaller blocks or for a dust rag :o) . My block will be winging its way across the country later today.
Off to get some shut eye.
=(^-^)=

2 comments:

Amanda Jean said...

thank you for making these blocks! they look great!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I think the all look great - but it is hard to get them perfect every time. Great job